Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Why are you doing this?

It's easier for people to accept that you've given up God, then to accept that you've given up animals. They will applaud your logic and commonsense for doing the former, and abuse you in ways you never dreamed of for even thinking about the latter. I find that very strange, actually, since the reasons for being vegan - or even just considering it, whatever you actually DO - are on much firmer ground than any decision relating to God.

It took me the first 22 years of my life to finally build the courage to give up God and stand on my own two feet in the real world, rather than the fantasy world I'd been pushed to accept in its place up to that point. But it took me another 10 years beyond that to finally realise a much better case existed for giving up eating animals. Funny how the more obvious something is, the longer it can to see it, isn't it?

This blog is not about converting anyone, or even about trying to. Rather, it is about providing a circuit-breaker, a place where those who would otherwise abuse my decision in blinkered ignorance can instead take a breather while they actually get informed on what being vegan really means, and how it really impacts on you and the world in which you live - and how positive that impact can actually be. It's also a place for those who aren't so filled with anger and hatred to simply find out more, and perhaps surprise themselves at what they can do in their own lives - even if they decide that being vegan still isn't their thing.

I lead a pretty busy and hectic life, so I may not always have time to keep this as up-to-date as I might like. But I'll certainly do what I can! I intend to outline MY reasons for being vegan, from the days when I never even thought it an option (vegans are all just wacko loonies, right?) through to the point where I realised that the world is bigger than just me, and there are other needs to consider also when we make the choices that govern our lives. It's about my own personal views and thoughts, but wherever possible I'll provide fully referenced links to independent studies etc, so you don't just have to take my word for it if I make a claim about something (just please be nice and remember that I don't always have the time to find solid references for EVERYTHING, and this is as much about what I think/feel as it is about the science, okay?).

So, that should do for an introduction. Remember, this is not about trying to convert you or anyone else, but simply to allow you to perhaps have a better chance to understand just why some of us do think its a worthwhile change to make. Comments are always welcomed, and honest/legitimate questions will be answered as best I can as soon as I am able to find the time to do so. I'm not a world expert though, so if I do make the odd mistake, go easy on me, hey? :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm starting to go veggie for the second time in my life. My husband is your stereotypical aussie bloke and one of his things is not understanding why someone wouldn't want to eat meat. He sometimes only lives on meat and bread (his choice - not my cooking skills!). He's away at the moment, so I've been experimenting a bit. I have a problem though - soy products. I bought some soy yogurt and milk and just found them yucky. The yogurt was good at first taste, but left a nasty after taste. I too live in a small country town where the supermarket doesn't stock a wide range of alternatives, so I'm just going to have to see how I go until I can get to somewhere else to shop!
Good luck with your blog - I'm looking forward to reading more! :)